Residential Development Permits

Residential permits apply to any development that occurs on private property and not for commercial use. Examples would include: mobile homes; additions to existing homes; swimming pools; porches; private paving; garages; new home construction; patios; and, any structural repair.

Permits are not required under the following situations: routine maintenance and repairs to existing structure; residential accessory buildings or structures not located in A or V Zones with floor areas of less than one hundred fifty (150) square feet; and other insignificant activities including the temporary storage of equipment or materials in the "X" Zones. Fences or fence-type walls located outside of any Flood Plain do not require permitting.

Special Flood Hazard Areas include all "A", all "V" Zones and the "X-S" Zone.

The "X-S" Zone is also known as the 500-year Flood Plain and as the "Shaded X" Flood Zone. This area requires the submittal of documentation (elevation certificate, topographical survey, etc.) that provides the elevation of the Lowest Adjacent Ground (LAG) next to the proposed development and the Base Flood Elevation (BFE) for the property. Should the Lowest Adjacent Ground be below the Base Flood Elevation, then the property will be permitted as if it lies within the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). If the LAG is equal to, or above, the BFE, then the property will be permitted as if it lies outside the SFHA.

For Single Family Residential development, all Builders, Developers, and Contractors are required to provide notice of Foundation, Frame and Final inspection at E-Permits.

See document below: "Residential Building Code Standards Applicable to Harris County"

Required Submittals - Inside Special Flood Hazard Area:

  • Site Plan
  • Engineered Drawings (see Support Documents, and refer to Floodplain Management Regulations)
  • See SFHA submittal guide flowchart below
  • Residential Application

Required Submittals - Outside Special Flood Hazard Area:

  • Site Plan
  • Residential Application

How to apply:

  • Apply online through E-Permits online - apply, pay for, and print your permits online.    

  • Apply in person at 10555 Northwest Freeway, Suite 120. This is a first-come, first-served walk-in or drop-off service. Same day permits are not guaranteed.